Sunday, March 8

The 8th of March

поздравляю 8ого марта!!!

Happy 8th of March -- International Womens Day!

Today was a good day. The sun was shining, people were walking about the city and on the river.

Also, today I became a Walrus. I used to be a Polar Bear, but now I am a Walrus:

I took a nice short swim in the Neva, much like the man in the photo below -- in exactly the same spot.

photo here:
http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?action_id=4&photo_id=1782

"I feel extreme excitement and physical euphoria when getting out of that cold water," said Ivanov, a 43-year-old engineer, pulling on his clothes over skin reddened by the sub- freezing water. The outside temperature that recent afternoon was minus 2 degrees Celsius. Ivanov is one of at least 100 St. Petersburg ice swimmers -- or morzhi (walruses) -- who regularly make their way to a 12-square-meter pool cut through 30-centimeter-thick ice on the Neva near the Peter and Paul Fortress. ... "

Then we sunbathed by standing along the side of the peter and paul fortress on the river bank.... ahhh

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if you feel ANY connection at all between the place where you are and the place where you were born? I know you don't really remember Minsk (but I do remember you when you were so small!!), but does it mean anything to you being in St. Petersburg other than your being there for the pure experience? It sounds like you're getting so much from this and I'm fascinated by the fascism you're describing. It frightens me to read about it, but I know you will keep your head and not get into anything you shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marcy,

    I definitely have been feeling a connection though it is hard to place where to stems from. One thing I have begun to understand is that a lot of the things that I "do", or ways that I interact, come from the Russian culture even though I didn't grow up here. But, unfortunately Petersburg feels like it is only a half-russia, being designed to be like a major european city, and I hope to learn more once I step out of the city and experience other parts of this land.

    ReplyDelete